August 3, 2013

[Interview] VAMPS on New Single, Zepp Tour, Oversea Shows, and Best Album vol.1

■「ⒶHEAD」is just a result of mastership(laugh)──HYDE 

■Both tracks on CD sound pretty close to live performance──K.A.Z 

──Songs were boldly done proving new potential for VAMPS. HYDE and K.A.Z have specific roles and each personality shines through the two tracks vividly. 

HYDE:Maybe I did too much though (laugh). I was hoping to write a song like ‘REPLAY’ first, but I can’t use DTM (laugh), I’m so analog. I had to leave that to K.A.Z. 

K.A.Z:I believe we will have more songs like these, showing our different musical personalities. But then, it is always subject to change. We may have a complete shocking song with different concept or image. We are so free to do that. 


──Were these two songs sort of your turning point? 

K.A.Z:I’d say yes. But I feel that way every song I write. Whether it is a single or album, there is always a discovery. 

──That means you always write with a new approach? 

K.A.Z:What is ‘approach’, you know (laugh). It depends. Is it a feeling? sense? I haven’t been able to analyze that much detail. The most important thing in writing a song is that there is this one stanza or phrase that sparkles whether it is with bass or drums. If there is raw material, then start with that. 

──Can you tell us where that sparkle is, for example in your song ‘REPLAY’? 

K.A.Z:The very opening. 


──We heard HYDE worked down to the last minute arranging the recording for「ⒶHEAD」. 

HYDE:Yes. That’s been my style for the last several years. 「ⒶHEAD」isn’t an exception. But I may have less flexibility in mind. I pursue too much perfection like, “It has to be like this!”. I was more flexible before. I enjoyed what was made naturally and “as is”. That isn’t the case now that I care about every second of the song. 

──Like you wrote this within so-and-so minutes total? 

HYDE:Yeah. Like this song can’t go over 6 minutes, that is acceptable but I care about 10 seconds. I guess that’s how I learn and progress, so that’s fine. Then again I feel micromanaging too much sometimes. Other times I know I am this way because our old songs were just so long. Maybe this is just what workmanship is about, “should be like this or that!”. But I try to remember that flexibility and freedom I used to have in youth. That’s precious. 


──「ⒶHEAD」burst out of that workmanship…

HYDE:Just as a result of mastership(laugh). 

K.A.Z:HAHAHA! 

HYDE:This is a song written with our passion from early days and the art of mastership. 

──The two songs were already performed on a tour. Was there any discovery while performing them? 

HYDE:People seem to these songs, more than I expected. It’s really fun to see. 



──Is it technically hard to play? 

HYDE:A little (laugh). The powerful vocal is the main in「ⒶHEAD」. I sing while playing the guitar, and the guitar needs focus while playing. So balancing the two is hard. The guitar phrases are very detailed. 

K.A.Z:I was doing the video check for our live. I felt these two songs had a similar sound like performances were pretty similar to recordings already on CD. Both tracks on CD sound pretty close to live performance. I didn’t see that in other songs before. 



──Did you not intend to do that? 

K.A.Z:I don’t think I did but I may have done it without knowing. Recording work gets annul and detailed in building it. When performing on a show, you always have a bit of change here there. But it was comfortable performing.. 


──Your ability must have improved! 

HYDE:Get out of here! 

K.A.Z:Did we suck before? (laugh) 

──No, no! Meant to say, “getting even better than before”. 

K.A.Z:Perhaps each of our sound has been getting more established. 


This was just the first half of the interview! Keep an eye out for the second half right here on VAMPSOUND!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© VAMPSound